What is involved in Strategic Communications
Find out what the related areas are that Strategic Communications connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Strategic Communications thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Strategic Communications journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Strategic Communications leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Strategic Communications related domains to cover and 192 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Strategic Communications, Strategic communication, Brand management, Business process, Business unit, Commerce, Communication, Concept, Data management, Global network, Government, Impression management, Logistics, Media intelligence, Media manipulation, Military, Military unit, Political warfare, Project management, Propaganda, Public relations, Reputation management, Strategy, Telecommunication:
Strategic Communications Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Strategic Communications governance and intervene in Strategic Communications processes and leadership.
– Strategic communications focuses on strategy not tactics. in imc, you learn to ask how specifically does your company or business communicate effectively with the audiences?
– Is Supporting Strategic Communications documentation required?
– How much does Strategic Communications help?
– How to Secure Strategic Communications?
Strategic communication Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Strategic communication planning and probe Strategic communication strategic alliances.
– How likely is the current Strategic Communications plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What vendors make products that address the Strategic Communications needs?
– Will Strategic Communications deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Brand management visions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– In the case of a Strategic Communications project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Strategic Communications project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Strategic Communications project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Strategic Communications is underway?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Strategic Communications?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Business process risks and attract Business process skills.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Strategic Communications leader?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
Business unit Critical Criteria:
Infer Business unit goals and display thorough understanding of the Business unit process.
– How do we revise the risk appetite statement so that we can link it to risk culture, roll it out effectively to the business units and bring it to life for them. How do we make it meaningful in connecting it with what they do day-to-day?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– Does the tool we use have the ability to integrate with Enterprise Active Directory Servers to determine users and build user, role, and business unit policies?
– Service-level requirement, how can the IT or business unit meet the internal marketing departments availability expectation based on the SaaS providers SLA?
– When you put together your strategic plan, is that based on input from your customers, your business units that you service?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Strategic Communications moving forward?
– No single business unit responsible for enterprise data?
– How can the value of Strategic Communications be defined?
– Are we Assessing Strategic Communications and Risk?
Commerce Critical Criteria:
Model after Commerce strategies and point out improvements in Commerce.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Strategic Communications in a volatile global economy?
– What are 3rd party licenses integrated with the current CRM, for example Email Marketing, Travel Planner, e-newsletter, search engine, surveys, reporting/trend analysis, e-Commerce, etc.?
– What are 3rd party licenses integrated, for example Email Marketing, Travel Planner, e-newsletter, search engine, surveys, reporting/trend analysis, e-Commerce, etc.?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Strategic Communications strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How you manage your Shipment Tracking in eCommerce through the SAP Business One SAP B1?
– How does B2B eCommerce affect our selection of the right type of relationship?
– Is the security of electronic commerce services and their secure use ensured?
– What ERP software has B2B B2C eCommerce WebStore Integration?
– How is the value delivered by Strategic Communications being measured?
– What erp systems are ecommerce companies using?
Communication Critical Criteria:
Read up on Communication risks and perfect Communication conflict management.
– Spheres of influerce in the consumers life. what people, activities, organizations and media can have the most effect on determining the target audiences receptivity to products?
– Some measurement of efficiency is better than no measurement of it. if you do not know the cpm how can you justify the expense of using one medium or vehicle versus another?
– What element(s) of interpersonal communications do you believe are the most important in a Customer Service environment?
– How will we assess the effectiveness of the communication to ensure that we didnt just broadcast a message?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Strategic Communications process?
– Does your government have adequate policies to protect confidential electronic data / communications?
– How much interaction w/customers does this communications vehicle allow?
– Describe which communication situations give you the most difficulty?
– Does your data governance organization have a communications plan?
– Based on your project communication management plan, what worked well?
– What are the key features, benefits of the program/project?
– How is cloud computing shaping enterprise communications?
– Who is the target audience for this advertising message?
– Is there an opportunity for display or p-o-p support?
– What communications laws and policies will we face?
– What audience(s) should we be targeting?
– How have you positioned your product?
– What are the cost considerations?
– When is communication necessary?
– Text communication encrypted?
Concept Critical Criteria:
Judge Concept strategies and ask questions.
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Think about the functions involved in your Strategic Communications project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Does management understand principles and concepts of system engineering?
– How do we incorporate a service profit chain concept in our design?
– Which applications can I immediately move after a proof of concept?
– Is your organization considering or implementing the concept of DevOps?
– Do all accounting systems require using debits and credits?
– Is the incidence of fraud increasing or decreasing?
– What types of fraud are being committed?
– When should the revenue be recognized?
– How can we improve Strategic Communications?
– When Does Accounting Not Happen?
– When should we reorder?
Data management Critical Criteria:
Mine Data management quality and shift your focus.
– Which audit findings of the Data Management and reporting system warrant recommendation notes and changes to the design in order to improve Data Quality?
– Are the data and backups being stored in multiple places and on different media types to protect against a single-point failure?
– How will lineage/provenance of some or all of your data be documented (e.g., processing steps executed on raw source data)?
– What are the data access requirements for standard file, message, and data management?
– What is the long-term strategy for maintaining, curating and archiving the data?
– Are there any access restrictions for the data you are collecting or will serve?
– When a dataset is deemed to no longer be worth keeping, who should be notified?
– Which datasets are likely to be reused in future research?
– Are the data included in an official system-wide report?
– Who will need to view documents (sales & production)?
– What is the process for gaining access to your data?
– Are the data required by regulatory authorities?
– How frequently do we need to access the data?
– What are the functions of data management?
– What products do you want me to support?
– How will you capture or create the data?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– Are there ethical considerations?
– Who provides PDM software?
– What data are included?
Global network Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Global network leadership and revise understanding of Global network architectures.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Strategic Communications strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Strategic Communications project manager?
Government Critical Criteria:
Value Government governance and oversee Government management by competencies.
– A significant amount of data will be regularly received by the vendor (from nih, cms, and other government and non-government entities). is this data de-identified according to hipaa privacy standards as a matter of course?
– At a high level, the challenge with the Patriot Act can be viewed as location, location, location. Exactly where is your data physically, and therefore whose government policies will your data be subject to?
– Any changes in the status of the location due to the disaster from the local or federal government that should be considered?
– Have current policies from relevant government and nongovernment agencies relating to the proposed program been examined?
– Under what conditions are managers an absolute requirement in an agile environment? (e.g. Government applications?)
– Does the information generation, consumption and/or access conform to agency specific and government regulations?
– Are there any promotions being done in your local area by government or others that you can take advantage of?
– Exactly where is your data physically, and therefore whose government policies will your data be subject to?
– Have any stakeholders, other government sectors or agencies expressed an interest in sustaining the program?
– Does your organization share data with other entities (with customers, suppliers, companies, government, etc)?
– What steps has the federal government taken to mitigate the draconian effect of AKS on ACOs?
– How can you measure Strategic Communications in a systematic way?
– Why should we adopt a Strategic Communications framework?
Impression management Critical Criteria:
Study Impression management strategies and plan concise Impression management education.
– Do those selected for the Strategic Communications team have a good general understanding of what Strategic Communications is all about?
– Does Strategic Communications analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What is our Strategic Communications Strategy?
Logistics Critical Criteria:
Audit Logistics issues and look for lots of ideas.
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How do we know that any Strategic Communications analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Does our organization need more Strategic Communications education?
– What about Strategic Communications Analysis of results?
– What type of logistics are required?
Media intelligence Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Media intelligence tactics and sort Media intelligence activities.
– For your Strategic Communications project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Strategic Communications project?
Media manipulation Critical Criteria:
Dissect Media manipulation results and find answers.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Strategic Communications process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Strategic Communications process available?
– Does Strategic Communications appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Military Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Military issues and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Military.
– Does Strategic Communications include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What is your foreign military service history?
– What is your military service record?
Military unit Critical Criteria:
Adapt Military unit planning and create Military unit explanations for all managers.
– In what ways are Strategic Communications vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Does the Strategic Communications task fit the clients priorities?
– What are specific Strategic Communications Rules to follow?
Political warfare Critical Criteria:
Review Political warfare tasks and look in other fields.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Strategic Communications models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Strategic Communications experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Strategic Communications process?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Project management issues and gather Project management models .
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– How can a company arrange a new project if the management does not know when they will finish the current projects and when the employees will be free to take on a new project?
– What are the key considerations and decisions that must be made to ensure your project management office is appropriate for your organization?
– What of the risk of rework if initial architecture work overlooks what turns out to be critical? what is the probability of this happening?
– Just what is a project management office, and how can it help you address the unique project management challenges in your organization?
– Which existing processes, tools and templates for executing projects can be applied to the agile project management framework?
– Are your current project management and time and expense capture applications outdated and expensive to update and maintain?
– What scenarios in terms of projected cost, schedule, and scope could/should we plan for?
– How are agile principles being applied in large projects and multi-site projects?
– Justification: what are your research questions and how do you motivate them?
– Are there separate sub-systems that have to communicate?
– What work wouldnt get done if no more funds were added?
– What type of certificate will be awarded and by whom?
– What is an economic aspect of Project Management?
– What is Turnkey Operation in Project Management?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– How does cost of change affect software?
– How familiar are we with Agile project management?
– How do we minimize impact and cost?
– How do we deal with change?
Propaganda Critical Criteria:
Depict Propaganda engagements and give examples utilizing a core of simple Propaganda skills.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Strategic Communications been identified and analyzed?
– Are accountability and ownership for Strategic Communications clearly defined?
Public relations Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Public relations risks and pay attention to the small things.
– If the single biggest influence in shaping consumers attitudes is community organizations, what are they and how can public relations help?
– What are your public relations problems and opportunities based on the product/program and consumer lifecycles?
– What are the problems, opportunities and anticipated issues that public relations can address?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Strategic Communications forward?
– What do public relations professionals need to do to become excellent leaders?
Reputation management Critical Criteria:
Match Reputation management issues and do something to it.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Strategic Communications project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– To what extent does management recognize Strategic Communications as a tool to increase the results?
– Do you have a plan in place for reputation management after an event?
Strategy Critical Criteria:
See the value of Strategy adoptions and budget for Strategy challenges.
– Has management conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the entirety of enterprise Risk Management at least once every three years or sooner if a major strategy or management change occurs, a program is added or deleted, changes in economic or political conditions exist, or changes in operations or methods of processing information have occurred?
– Does the final risk determination and risk acceptance by the authorizing official reflect the Risk Management strategy developed by the organization and conveyed by the risk executive (function)?
– What kind of marketing strategy would you use in each stage to keep our products at the forefront?
– Does the strategy include a timeline detailing when critical messages should go out?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Which migration strategy should the organization use?
– What tasks are required to implement each strategy?
– Is the communication strategy being implemented?
Telecommunication Critical Criteria:
Investigate Telecommunication goals and find the ideas you already have.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– How does each element of our Telecommunications (TC) and Data Communications affect the basic structure of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (C.I.A.)?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– What are the disruptive Strategic Communications technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What is the proper regulatory classification for voip services (telecommunications or value-added)?
– Voip – telecommunications or value added service?
– Do we have past Strategic Communications Successes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Strategic Communications Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Strategic Communications External links:
What is strategic communications? – IDEA
What is strategic communications? – IDEA
Sard Verbinnen & Co | Strategic Communications
Strategic communication External links:
Strategic Communication | CSUSB
Office of Strategic Communication
Brand management External links:
Brand management in higher education: The University …
BMP – Brand Management Professionals
Business process External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Canon Business Process Services
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Business unit External links:
Sign In · Quadramed Business Unit Portal
Title Business Unit Director Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Commerce External links:
Insite Commerce Platform eCommerce Solutions Partner | C2
Coastal Commerce – Official Site
Ohio Department Of Commerce | Division Of State Fire Marshal
Concept External links:
Bubu-Denver | Bubu Denver, New Troy Guard Concept.
MG McGrath Inc. Sheet Metal | “From Concept to Completion”
Gyms In Torrington | CT | Club 24 Concept Gyms
Data management External links:
CardioStream | A Cloud Based PACS Data Management …
What is data management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
UDSH Historical Data Management System – Utah
Global network External links:
Home | Discover Global Network
Aging2.0 | A Global Network of Innovators | Aging2.0
AT&T Global Network Client for Windows
Impression management External links:
[PDF]IMPRESSION MANAGEMENT – People
Impression management, theory of – IS Theory
First Impression Management | Customized Corporate …
Logistics External links:
TJX Logistics – Login
United Vision Logistics – Official Site
– CarrierPoint – Logistics Software Solutions – 2
Media intelligence External links:
Christophe Ginisty | Social Media Intelligence
Nuzzel Media Intelligence
Media monitoring Services | Media Intelligence Provider
Media manipulation External links:
10 Media manipulation strategies by Noam Chomsky – …
Military unit External links:
Military Unit Finder
Military Unit Sales at Quantico Tactical
Political warfare External links:
[PDF]The Meaning, Techniques and Methods of Political Warfare
Civ V: Retro Rumble #8 – Political Warfare – YouTube
Political warfare is the use of political means to compel an opponent to do one’s will, based on hostile intent. The term political describes the calculated interaction between a government and a target audience to include another state’s government, military, and/or general population.
Project management External links:
Project Management Institute – Official Site
CCRS | Project Management Institute
Propaganda External links:
Propaganda Live (@welikeduel) | Twitter
Love + Propaganda
Propaganda Materials « Church of the Flying Spaghetti …
Public relations External links:
VocusPR – Cision Public Relations
Public Relations – The Washington Post
Public Relations Society of America – PRSA Jobcenter
Reputation management External links:
BirdEye – Online Reputation Management
Reputation Management – Actively Monitor Your Brand
ad · birdeye.com/Online-Reviews/Monitoring
Reputation Management – Actively Monitor Your Brand
ad · birdeye.com/Online-Reviews/Monitoring
Strategy External links:
The Strategy Bridge
Keyword Research & Strategy with Keyword Planner – …
Telecommunication External links:
Make running cable and managing media both simple and cost-effective by choosing this Commercial Electric Telecommunication Center.
North Dakota Association of Telecommunication …
[PDF]Telecommunications Act of 1996 – The United States of …