What is involved in Secure by design
Find out what the related areas are that Secure by design connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Secure by design thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Secure by design journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Secure by design leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Secure by design related domains to cover and 167 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Secure by design, Intrusion prevention system, Secure coding, Denial of service, Format string attack, Dog food, Information security, Multiple Independent Levels of Security, Operating system shell, Screen scrape, Intrusion detection system, Security by design, Principle of least privilege, Security through obscurity, Network security, Cyber security standards, Computer access control, Best coding practices, SQL injection, Multi-factor authentication, Linus’ law, Software engineering, Computer code, Trojan horse, Secure by default, Machine code, Computer crime, User identifier, Application security, Internet security, Cryptographic hash function, Computer virus, Computer worm, Web server, Computer security, Home directory, Undefined behavior, Antivirus software, Malicious user, Buffer overflow, Call stack, Secure by design, Software Security Assurance, C standard library, Computer network, Security-focused operating system, Mobile security, Software design, Mobile secure gateway, Logic bomb, Data-centric security:
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Participate in Secure by design decisions and explore and align the progress in Secure by design.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Secure by design?
– How can you measure Secure by design in a systematic way?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Intrusion prevention system risks and cater for concise Intrusion prevention system education.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do we know that any Secure by design analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– Are accountability and ownership for Secure by design clearly defined?
– Is there any existing Secure by design governance structure?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Discuss Secure coding planning and find answers.
– Is there a Secure by design Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Is the Secure by design organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Secure by design moving forward?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Participate in Denial of service failures and correct better engagement with Denial of service results.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– Is Secure by design dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Secure by design project?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– Who will provide the final approval of Secure by design deliverables?
Format string attack Critical Criteria:
Guard Format string attack governance and get the big picture.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Secure by design?
– How do we manage Secure by design Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Why is Secure by design important for you now?
Dog food Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Dog food issues and research ways can we become the Dog food company that would put us out of business.
– Does Secure by design systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Secure by design processes of our organization?
– How to Secure Secure by design?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Information security strategies and oversee implementation of Information security.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– Is the risk assessment approach defined and suited to the ISMS, identified business information security, legal and regulatory requirements?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into regulations?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– Does mgmt establish roles and responsibilities for information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
– How is the value delivered by Secure by design being measured?
Multiple Independent Levels of Security Critical Criteria:
Systematize Multiple Independent Levels of Security management and get going.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Secure by design process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Secure by design process available?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Secure by design strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Is Secure by design Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Operating system shell Critical Criteria:
Consider Operating system shell adoptions and get answers.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Secure by design? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Among the Secure by design product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Which Secure by design goals are the most important?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Screen scrape strategies and sort Screen scrape activities.
– What are the short and long-term Secure by design goals?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Intrusion detection system strategies and stake your claim.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Does Secure by design appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Is Secure by design Required?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Security by design strategies and display thorough understanding of the Security by design process.
– How likely is the current Secure by design plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What vendors make products that address the Secure by design needs?
– Who sets the Secure by design standards?
Principle of least privilege Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Principle of least privilege tasks and innovate what needs to be done with Principle of least privilege.
– Have you identified your Secure by design key performance indicators?
– How can we improve Secure by design?
Security through obscurity Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Security through obscurity quality and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Security through obscurity.
– How can you negotiate Secure by design successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Secure by design been identified and analyzed?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Chat re Network security strategies and proactively manage Network security risks.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Think about the people you identified for your Secure by design project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– How much does Secure by design help?
Cyber security standards Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Cyber security standards outcomes and ask what if.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Secure by design project?
– Does our organization need more Secure by design education?
– How can the value of Secure by design be defined?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Dissect Computer access control management and track iterative Computer access control results.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Secure by design services/products?
– What is the purpose of Secure by design in relation to the mission?
– Why are Secure by design skills important?
Best coding practices Critical Criteria:
Value Best coding practices adoptions and grade techniques for implementing Best coding practices controls.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Secure by design that make it risky?
SQL injection Critical Criteria:
Communicate about SQL injection adoptions and adjust implementation of SQL injection.
– Are controls implemented on the server side to prevent sql injection and other bypassing of client side-input controls?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Secure by design process?
– What are internal and external Secure by design relations?
– How can skill-level changes improve Secure by design?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Focus on Multi-factor authentication issues and track iterative Multi-factor authentication results.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Secure by design study?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
Linus’ law Critical Criteria:
Recall Linus’ law management and triple focus on important concepts of Linus’ law relationship management.
– Think about the functions involved in your Secure by design project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Secure by design forward?
– Is Supporting Secure by design documentation required?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Study Software engineering management and triple focus on important concepts of Software engineering relationship management.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Secure by design processes?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Secure by design does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are the usability implications of Secure by design actions?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Computer code Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Computer code visions and finalize the present value of growth of Computer code.
– While it seems technically very likely that smart contracts can be programmed to execute the lifecycle events of a financial asset, and that those assets can be legally enshrined in computer code as a smart asset, how are they governed by law?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Secure by design ?
– How do we go about Securing Secure by design?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Trojan horse goals and gather practices for scaling Trojan horse.
– What is the source of the strategies for Secure by design strengthening and reform?
Secure by default Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Secure by default planning and be persistent.
– In what ways are Secure by design vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Machine code Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Machine code decisions and plan concise Machine code education.
– Does Secure by design analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Secure by design activities?
– What are our Secure by design Processes?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Administer Computer crime goals and look for lots of ideas.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Secure by design, including any consulting or professional services?
– Are we Assessing Secure by design and Risk?
User identifier Critical Criteria:
Adapt User identifier issues and learn.
– What are current Secure by design Paradigms?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Application security issues and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Application security.
– Do the Secure by design decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Think of your Secure by design project. what are the main functions?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– Do we all define Secure by design in the same way?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Look at Internet security failures and finalize specific methods for Internet security acceptance.
– How do we measure improved Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
– How will you measure your Secure by design effectiveness?
Cryptographic hash function Critical Criteria:
Consult on Cryptographic hash function planning and achieve a single Cryptographic hash function view and bringing data together.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Secure by design project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Secure by design project lifecycle?
– Are assumptions made in Secure by design stated explicitly?
– Are there Secure by design Models?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Focus on Computer virus adoptions and gather practices for scaling Computer virus.
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Computer worm engagements and shift your focus.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Secure by design information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do we maintain Secure by designs Integrity?
– What is our Secure by design Strategy?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Unify Web server tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Web server.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Secure by design opportunities costing us money?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Secure by design activities?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Devise Computer security tasks and sort Computer security activities.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Which customers cant participate in our Secure by design domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Secure by design products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How do we keep improving Secure by design?
Home directory Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Home directory outcomes and proactively manage Home directory risks.
– Do we have past Secure by design Successes?
– What is Effective Secure by design?
Undefined behavior Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Undefined behavior goals and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Undefined behavior decisions.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Secure by design leader?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Secure by design requirements in detail?
– What are the long-term Secure by design goals?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Start Antivirus software outcomes and interpret which customers can’t participate in Antivirus software because they lack skills.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Secure by design project manager?
Malicious user Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Malicious user goals and mentor Malicious user customer orientation.
– Is there an account-lockout mechanism that blocks a maliCIOus user from obtaining access to an account by multiple password retries or brute force?
– When authenticating over the internet, is the application designed to prevent maliCIOus users from trying to determine existing user accounts?
– When a Secure by design manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Buffer overflow Critical Criteria:
Derive from Buffer overflow issues and handle a jump-start course to Buffer overflow.
Call stack Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Call stack strategies and optimize Call stack leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Secure by design processes?
– How do we Improve Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Systematize Secure by design goals and revise understanding of Secure by design architectures.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Secure by design strengthening and reform actually originate?
Software Security Assurance Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Software Security Assurance planning and pay attention to the small things.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Secure by design is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Who needs to know about Secure by design ?
C standard library Critical Criteria:
Examine C standard library governance and explain and analyze the challenges of C standard library.
– Have all basic functions of Secure by design been defined?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Computer network governance and create a map for yourself.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Secure by design? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Define Security-focused operating system management and find answers.
– Can we add value to the current Secure by design decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are all of our Secure by design domains and what do they do?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Mobile security engagements and transcribe Mobile security as tomorrows backbone for success.
Software design Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Software design engagements and research ways can we become the Software design company that would put us out of business.
– Do we monitor the Secure by design decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Is a Secure by design Team Work effort in place?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Mobile secure gateway risks and look at it backwards.
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Logic bomb results and develop and take control of the Logic bomb initiative.
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Chat re Data-centric security tasks and learn.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Secure by design project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Secure by design Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Secure by design External links:
Secure by Design – Home | Facebook
LMD Architects – Secure By Design
Rationel Windows – Burglary Secure By Design – YouTube
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Intrusion prevention system
Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
How does an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) work? – Quora
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Education | Manicode Security
Secure Coding Storing Secrets – developer.force.com
Denial of service External links:
What is DDoS – Distributed Denial of Service? Webopedia
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
Format string attack External links:
Format string attack – OWASP
Dog food External links:
Dog Food, Cat Food, and Treats | Purina® Pro Plan®
Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis 2018 – Pet Food Talk
Natural Dog Food & Cat Food | Nutrish Pet Food
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE III INFORMATION SECURITY – Certifications
Title & Settlement Information Security
Multiple Independent Levels of Security External links:
Multiple Independent Levels of Security
Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof.
[PDF]MILS Multiple Independent Levels of Security – ACSA)
Screen scrape External links:
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
[PDF]Screen scrape pdf – WordPress.com
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Security by design External links:
Global Privacy and Security By Design
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Principle of least privilege External links:
The Principle of Least Privilege Access in the Cloud – Xgility
Security through obscurity External links:
N3krozoft Ltd | Security Through Obscurity
Network security External links:
Home Network Security | Trend Micro
Cyber security standards External links:
Cyber security standards – ScienceDaily
Cyber Security Standards | NIST
Computer access control External links:
Computer Access Control – Home | Facebook
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Best coding practices External links:
Best Coding Practices to Show during Job Interviews – YouTube
Psychopath – Best coding practices comic
SQL injection External links:
SQL Injection Cheat Sheet & Tutorial | Veracode
SQL Injection – W3Schools
What is SQL Injection (SQLi) and How to Fix It
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Computer code External links:
Teach U.S. kids to write computer code – CNN
HTML Computer Code Elements – W3Schools
Mustang Computer Code Identification by Year (1987-Present)
Trojan horse External links:
Luv – Trojan Horse [TOPPOP 1978] – YouTube
Machine code External links:
M-codes Machine Code Reference | Tormach Inc. providers …
Machine Code Instructions – YouTube
Computer crime External links:
What is Computer Crime?
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Computer Crime Info – Official Site
User identifier External links:
User identifier – YouTube
Application security External links:
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
BLM Application Security System
Internet security External links:
CUJO AI Internet Security Firewall – Official Site
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
Internet Security | Home Network Protection | Avast
Cryptographic hash function External links:
What Is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Lifewire
9-7.4 Cryptographic Hash Function – USPS
Bitcoin – Cryptographic hash function – YouTube
Computer virus External links:
How to Create an Awesome (Harmless) Computer Virus …
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Computer Virus – ABC News
Computer worm External links:
Web server External links:
How to Make a Raspberry Pi Web Server | DIY Hacking
What is Apache? – What is a Web Server? – WPBeginner
Computer security External links:
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide – …
Computer Security (Cybersecurity) – The New York Times
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Home directory External links:
Veterans Home Directory – California
Undefined behavior External links:
Undefined Behavior – YouTube
Antivirus software External links:
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
Malicious user External links:
Import This Malicious User-Agent String Feed | RSA Link
Secure by design External links:
Rationel Windows – Burglary Secure By Design – YouTube
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Holovision | Secure By Design
Software Security Assurance External links:
Importance of Software Security Assurance | Oracle
C standard library External links:
The ANSI C Standard Library
Computer network External links:
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
Mobile security External links:
ADP Mobile Security
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to supply HD live streams or cloud-stored recordings.
Software design External links:
MjM Software Design
The Nerdery | Custom Software Design and Development
Web and Mobile Software Design, Development, and Support
Mobile secure gateway External links:
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
SeaCat Mobile Secure Gateway – TeskaLabs · Security
Mobile secure gateway – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Mobile secure gateway
Logic bomb External links:
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
Logic Bomb | Definition of Logic Bomb by Merriam-Webster
Logic Bomb – Home | Facebook
Data-centric security External links:
DgSecure Data-Centric Security Platform | Dataguise